Saturday, September 18, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons, You Better Get Down on Those Knees

I told myself I was going to take 10 minutes to get on here and post and catch up on all the blogs I love and miss so much. I'm on here requesting prayer for our family. Our adoption transition has been much more difficult than what we expected. We were preparing ourselves for difficult times, but these days have been much more than what we could have ever prepared ourselves for.

And it feels like we're in over our heads, but we know that our Heavenly Father, Abba, Daddy is with us. And He called us to this because He knew we could handle it through Him. But it's been painful, and it's been one of the most, maybe the most, difficult thing we've dealt with in our lives.

And realizing that one cannot change years worth of damage in several months time, we're living day to day by God's grace. Abiding in Him. And we're seeking out and using the resources that He has so providentially provided for us.

And I also ask prayer for Ian. You may remember the medical issues that occurred the day after we returned from Ukraine. I posted about them on here. Well, his EEG he had done last month came back abnormal showing seizure tendencies. So I take him back in October for an inpatient 23 hour video EEG.

Ladies, despite all of what's going on in my life, when I really dig down deep beneath all the junk, doubt, fear, and anxiety, I can feel the peace that passes understanding. It comes only from my Father. And HOW could I do any of this without Him? He is my Rock. My Strong Tower. My Fortress. On Him I stand on a firm foundation that will not crumble when life's circumstances do. I praise my God for His faithfulness, His love, His provision. He is Love. He is truth. He is strength. And through Him, I can do all things.

May you feel God's love embrace you today...

9 comments:

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

I am praying for you and your family. Praying that the adjustment of adoption irons out in time, and the wounds of the past heal. I also pray for Ian's health and the doctor's knowledge to treat him so that these medical issues are a thing of the past. What a lot to deal with- but as you know with Him, all things are possible.

Unknown said...

Amber,

Praying for you and your family in this difficult adjustment. You are so right that God never gives us anything that we can't handle. Stay strong and let His love shine through. You are a blessing and a wonderful mother.

Tina

Heather said...

I will be praying for you & your family! My heart goes out to you during this difficult time, and I'll pray that it passes swiftly.

Whenever I read blog posts on struggles they concern me a lot more when I see an absence of God & faith. I love reading your blog because your strength & faith have been inspiring to me.

This is my verse:
"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31
{I call it "my verse" because it was assigned to my baptism & then again for my confirmation by two different pastors ;-) }

Wendi said...

Oh sweetie! Sometimes when it rains it seems like it pours and pours. You have the right attitude and I will be praying for all of you!!

BurttBunch said...

Amber- I will be praying for you and your family! I don't know how you are holding it all together...it really must be a GOD THING!!!! You are a special family to take on such a life changing journey when you have 2 little ones of your own. If you need ANYTHING...please let me know!

Carleen said...

Hugs and prayers for you and your family!

Adrienne (Cead, mile failte) said...

Hi Amber, I read your post with understanding as we have walked that road for the last 13 yrs (we adopted our daughter when she was 2 yrs old). And it doesn't have to be years of damage either ... one year's damage is sometimes too much. We have found the inter-country adoption parent group we have in our city (in New Zealand), the best support of all as they also are walking a similar road. Whatever else you do, I think possibly the MOST important thing is to keep a united front as parents, as too often we have seen the child manipulate and come in between and cause irreparable damage.

Hope all goes well with Ian.

Anonymous said...

Amber, you will all be in my prayers. You are such an encouragement when you are so vulnerable, yet so unwavering in your faith. The rainbow will come as your faith shines through the rainy times. He loves you more than you could ever know. Thanks for being such a blessing.

Pam said...

Amber, I am truly feeling a great sense of sympathy for you, because as you know we have been through the same thing. You mentioned in your post that it may have been the most difficult thing in your life. I relate to this very much. It was also one of most difficult thing we have been through; who can prepare you for it? And yet the Lord does pour out His grace. You have the right attitude, for I believe as you that we were not mistaken in hearing His calling on our lives. I can say also that He is faithful to help us and them. I remember a word of encouragement that one of the attorneys gave to us after a month or two of being home, for she too had adopted older children. Her understanding helped us tremendously, because we thought the struggle had something to do with our weaknesses; we have come to realize since as you mentioned they are damaged. Our heavenly Father had a beautiful plan for families, never intending abandonment to be part of the plan. Sin has brought such trouble into this world hasn't it? He does heal and redeem, however. One of the things that He showed us to do was to pray together over the strongholds that we could see that the enemy had placed over them. We did this often, My husband and I and my daughter Marie (because she had gone to Russia with us and spent their first year with us). We did it when they were not with us so that we would be at liberty to stand in that authority without causing confusion. We recognized that as their new parents, we have authority over them spiritually until they reach their own accountability. The Lord has been breaking things off of them ever since. One time I was praying about Eddie saying "Lord, what is it? I don't know what is going on here". That night I had a dream and in my dream I was asking Eddie "what is wrong?" He said "I am so angry!" So when I woke up, we prayed to break that anger, which I believe was planted from being abandoned. We saw a change right away with that one. Sometimes the Lord would show us that a certain behavior could be prayed over and broken in the same way. That, with perseverance, love, example, faith, and the encouragement of others has kept us and we have grown. There are still things to work through, but we can look back in awe and see the progress (theirs and ours); it is substantial.

I hope you do not feel dismayed at my liberty to share so much with you...simply wanted to give a word of wisdom and encouragement. My husband and I just prayed for you. Please let me know if you would like to just talk with someone, I am here for you. My e-mail address is pammyphelps@gmail.com
Much Love,
Pam