Friday, July 24, 2009

Thrifting Treasures...

Who doesn't love the abundance of yard sales during the summer months? And the thrift stores just seem to be overflowing with goodies.

Here are some of the treasures I've found thrifting this year...

I found these base thingies at two different thrift stores. The bigger one was a brown ceramic and the smaller one (actually came with another taller one just like it) was a crackled beige ceramic. I spray painted these two white and thought they would be lovely to set my white dishes on to serve on when I entertain.





When I'm not using the smaller base, it sets on my kitchen counter with a replica yellowware bowl on it. I usually put pears or bananas in the bowl.




The other base I spray painted black and it rests in our hall bathroom...




I found the white bowl below at a thrift shop for 50 cents. I thought it would be a lovely bowl to serve from when I use my white dishes.



I found the following little lamp at Goodwill for $1.99. I plan on covering the shade with red ticking fabric. The two little candlesticks I found at a yard sale for 50 cents. They were originally a dark wooden color; I spray painted them white.

Vintage napkins found at an estate sale this past weekend. The white set was unused and has a beautiful floral pattern. There were 15 of them! For $3.00! The second set of four I got for 50 cents.


I found the basket below at a yard sale for 75 cents. It was originally a brown color before I spray painted it ivory. The six fabric napkins were found at a local thrift store for $1.00. They each have a tiny flower embroidered in the corner.














Found this basket at Goodwill for 99 cents...



The following basket was only 25 cents at a yard sale!

The next basket is my favorite basket find! I found it at a thrift shop for $3.00. You can tell it is old but it is very sturdy and well-made. I have this setting on top of our tv armoire in the living room.

I purchased this great whicker rocker from a friend's yard sale for $25.00. It had been in their family for a while so it's old and has lots charm. It is in our master bedroom.

This last find is a sturdy little wooden stool for $3.00. It was an unfinished wood color. Pretty dirty as it was also from an estate sale and very old. I cleaned it up, spray painted it white, and then sanded some wear into it.

At the estate sale I went to last week, I also found a vintage baby doll cradle which I plan to clean up and give to Lily for C-mas. It was in awesome shape, and I was able to get it for $10.00! I was super excited because I've been looking for a nice cradle for Lily since before C-mas last year. I can't show pics of it because it's in hiding. :) I'd like to make some linens for it to give with it also.

Thanks for looking! This post just goes to show you that the old cliche is true... One man's junk is another man's treasure.

~Amber

17 comments:

Shannan Martin said...

Great finds! I love the red/blue napkins. What a steal!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

We love the milk glass compote and the napkins...you really scored!!! Great job!

Sarah said...

Awesome! I love what you did with your finds! Yard sales rock!

Amanda said...

You've got some great goodies there! Love seeing what other people find at yard sales and thrifts.

I'm hoping to find a few thrift shops while on vacation this week. Back to packing I go. ;-)

Have a great weekend!
Blessings,
Amanda

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

You are quite the shopper! I have that same footed white bowl I picked up at a flea market several years ago. I wondered if it was from a florist (I don't know why I thought that - I think because mine has ridges inside that make it "not-bowl-like" inside. ??)

Jennie said...

those are some great finds... don't you love the power of paint...I also love your blog backgrounds, who did it?

Anonymous said...

Wow! You did find some great things! I love them all!

Lisa said...

You got some great buys, I'm coming to shop with you!
:)Lisa
kssnnikkel.blogspot.com

Amy@TheLemonCottage said...

Great finds! I love the wicker chair! (It would look great on my porch) :)
~Amy

Melissa Stover said...

love the stool!!! love the white stand things in the first picture. awesome finds. i love yard sales!

Dawn Gahan said...

Amber,

Good stuff. Love the white pedestal bowl!

Dawn

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and entering my giveaway. Good luck! And to answer your question about Gideon, our Old English Sheepdog, he sheds very little. That's one of the things I love about the breed. I highly recommend the breed. I grew up with one, had one right out of college, and now have my third. BUT as with any big dog, training is really a must. Well-behaved dogs are right up there for me with well-behaved kids!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

What great finds! So glad you found my blog, yours is great! I'm so jealous on that milk glass price, I just paid $3 for a similar one!
~Michelle

Simple said...

Great finds! I have blue napkins very similar, but they don't have any embroidery on them.
Have a lovely day, Fine Linen

Jodi Nelson said...

What great finds! LOVE your blog.

Tolentreasures said...

Great finds! I love the rocker. I have been looking for a comfortable wicker chair for my porch for so long. I have one and John always grabs it before me and I am left with the uncomfortable one. Love what you did with everything!

Cathy

Shauna said...

I love that white bowl. That would be so pretty with fruit in it!

Amy Lynne said...

Great deal on all those napkins! I love the baskets too!