Monday, June 27, 2016

progress and a pause




 We finished the living room to the point where we could get the furniture all put back in place. We still need to attend to a few details such as face plates, wall decor, and curtains, but I'm giving the paint another day or so to cure. I've learned that lesson the hard way in the past. 


We were going to start the kitchen and dining area over the weekend, but we decided to take a much-needed family break and spend some time resting and playing. This week is going to be broken up a bit due to some traveling, so we're going to hit the kitchen hard next week and tackle everything at one time. I'm currently hem-hawing around regarding the paint color of our kitchen cabinets, so I want to at least have that finalized by the end of this week. 

The plan for the kitchen is to paint the ceilings and the walls. I'm going to paint the cabinets either a shade of white or possibly a light gray. We bought butcherblock countertop and a white ceramic farmhouse sink (I'm sooooo happy about both of those purchases.) I'm having Brad remove one of the upper sections of cabinets from one side of the kitchen window so we can put open shelving there. And we will be installing a white subway tile back splash. 

The weather was perfect over the weekend. We spent time outside. We picked and ate many blueberries straight from the bushes. We spent time weeding the raised beds. We visited with family who were in from Texas. We played with our animals, and the kids visited and played with their cousins and spent lots of time in the pool. We made sushi. I listed a bunch of homeschool material online. I spent some time knitting my shawl and spinning some merino. It was very unusually laid back for a summer weekend.

8 comments:

Nen said...

I look forward to seeing kitchen pics! We are deciding on paint colors to paint our tiny kitchen as well, though unfortunately not much more than that. We have orange laminate countertops that desperately needed replaced, but just don't have the money for that right now. Maybe someday. Hoping a little paint will brighten the drab brown cupboards! Looks like you all had a fun time outside... we love that game. What's it called? Hillbilly Golf? :)

Billie Jo said...

Oh! Your room looks wonderful! Charming, tidy, and cozy.
So enjoying watching your progress.
And yay for fun, family weekends. : )

Willemien said...

Your living room looks pretty!

Simply Handmade Farmhouse said...

I love the color, I have a hard time finding the perfect grey. I love all your ideas for your kitchen. Looking forward to the kitchen post!!

Rachel E. said...

I absolutely love the photo of you and your hubby. Very nice! I like how creative your kids are, especially your little girl. She just cranks out all those projects and they all look terrific.

You have a happy home - no doubt about it.

Mereknits said...

It all sounds wonderful, your family is just gorgeous Amber.
Meredith

Leslie Kimel said...

I love how your living room is looking--it is so tasteful--and I can't wait to see the kitchen with the butcherblock counter and farm sink (definitely great choices!). As always I am so impressed by how artistic and industrious your kids are. Their creativity is amazing!

karen said...

love how cozy and warm your home looks :) what are those rolls you made? they look delish! I am guessing sushi of some sort.