Monday, June 23, 2014

the breath of summer



Toads. Lily has a "pet" family of toads. A toad family that seems to keep growing by the day. They live in the window well of one of our downstairs' windows, which has been a complete joy to Lily. There is also a tree frog that lives down in there. One big happy family of amphibians. And one happy, happy girl keeping watch over them.

I have been devoting a lot of time to syringe-feeding and watering one of our English Angora rabbits, Snowball. She developed "head tilt" last Friday. I took her to our vet on Saturday, and he said that she had a middle ear infection which was most likely the cause of it. I was thankful for that since the other causes of head tilt in rabbits are more serious health conditions such as stroke and nervous system disorders. Since her head is so severely tilted to the one side, she cannot eat or drink on her own so Lily and I have to give her food and water via a syringe. I'm also medicating her twice a day with an antibiotic to treat the ear infection as well as meclizine to help the poor bunny with the horrid dizziness. She looks so pitiful, such a sad sight. I'm praying that this helps her.

Brad and I took the 2.5 hour drive north to see Sergei at his school yesterday. We left after Sunday School, picked up some food, and ate on the way. I spent most of the drive crocheting. And, of course, we chatted the whole way. It was nice. We hardly have any time to ourselves.

Our visit with Sergei went great. We stayed for several hours, until dinnertime, and then we drove into the nearby "city" and ate dinner on the bay of Lake Erie. We walked around a bit, grabbed two Caffe Americanos from Starbucks and then drove to Presque Isle and drove around the isle. We were running out of time in the day and knew we still had a 2.5 hour drive home so we only got out once to quickly check out one of the beaches and then started our drive home. We talked the whole way home, and I, of course, crocheted until it was too dark to see. It was a good day.

Our church's vacation Bible school starts tonight. I co-direct and lead the opening/closing portions of the night's events so it will be a very busy week. The kids always have such a blast. Who am I kidding, the adults have a blast too! We're all looking forward to it!

And I can't say enough how much I am really enjoying these summer days. Last week, Brad and I sat out on the deck after dark and watched the fireflies lighting up the fields. It was an amazing sight. I really wanted to capture the sight on camera so I could share it with all of you, but cameras just don't have the ability to capture the true beauty of fields full of fireflies. It was like our own private light show. A light show synchronized to the call of the crickets. I love summer in the country.


3 comments:

Marie said...

I always enjoy your post.
Love,
Marie

Wendi said...

Oh the joy of summer! I am glad that you are enjoying the days (and evenings).

Pam said...

Love your pictures and summer up-date. Especially enjoyed Lilly's pet toads…I like toads and frogs too, and can't seem to resist them even at my age.

Your drive to see Sergei sounds nice. I must have missed reading about his school. Would love to hear about it. Hope you have a great week.
Blessings,
Pam