Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The things of a frozen winter...




We awoke to another thick, deep coating of snow this morning. Actually, we woke up to blizzard-like conditions. It was another one of those snow squalls that decreased visibility so drastically that I could hardly see the road from our front window. It was a crazy night of weather. The wind howled all through the night. There was thunder and lightning (yes, in the midst of a snow storm.) And the weather that occurred through the night and morning reminded me of a book I read in sixth grade, Winter Thunder by Mari Sandoz. For some reason, that book really left an imprint on my mind. Perhaps it was because my sixth grade English teacher had his students write alternate endings (illustrated and all) to the story. Perhaps my young mind found it stunningly traumatic. For whatever reason, I remember the book well.

Speaking of books, I am currently reading The Hobbit. Ian has been begging me to read it for the last year or so. I started it when I was down with the flu and, admittedly, it's been slowing going since getting better. For the simple fact that now that I'm feeling much better, I've been keeping myself quite busy with playing catch-up. I'm really enjoying the book. Honestly, I didn't think I would. It's not the typical genre of literature that I would pick. I'm more a fan of literary fiction, the classics, and historical fiction. However, Ian recently received The Hobbit movie, and I am most certainly one who must read the book before watching the movie. Besides, I really do want to be able to understand what he's talking about when he endlessly chats on about the dwarves, Gandalf, and Middle Earth. I'm only afraid it's just begun, though, as he's already urging me to read The Lord of the Rings trilogy next. I'm not sure if I'm up to tackling that large of a project right now!

Oh and that also reminds (writing about books and all), I recently joined Goodreads. I'm enjoying keeping track of all the books I've read and recording those that I want to read in the future. I'm also really enjoying seeing what my friends are reading and hearing  everyone's point of view on various books. Are you on Goodreads? If so, I'd love to check out what you've been reading. And feel free to share any good books. I do enjoy getting book recommendations from friends.

I finished the Honey Cowl over the weekend. I just need to get a picture of it so I can post the finished item on Ravelry. I just cast on for another hat for Brad. The last one I made him was made with a sock yarn so it's not warm enough for these frosty days we've been experiencing. This time I'm using a worsted weight yarn, and I just happened to have a charcoal colored yarn on hand that I'm using for this hat. I also just finished a crochet project that I've made for someone special, but I can't share that one just yet. 

You know, knitting, crocheting, and reading have really been wonderful pastimes this winter. In fact, Brad and I were just having a discussion this evening that was evoking some anxiety in me. I ended up switching the topic to the new hat I was knitting for him. And then I realized why. Knitting soothes me. It calms me. When I'm feeling anxious, the click-clack of the needles and the soft yarn strung through my fingers has such a calming affect on me. And with the long days spent inside during this exceptionally cold, frozen, snowy winter, I've been so thankful for yarn, needles, and books. (Oh, and a hot cup of decaf coffee!)

Right now, I'm sitting in the old rocker in front of the front window, looking out at the birder feeder and the snowy expanse that is our front yard. It's 6:00pm and it's still light out. The children are outside playing in the huge piles of snow. The fact that it's still light out is quite exciting to me. I'm so looking forward to the longer, light-filled days that are just around the corner. 

However, in the meantime, we will warm our hearts with good books, time spent together, and God's blessings. And we will warm our bellies with hot pots of soup and warm cups of tea. And so I shall aspire to spend these winter days resting up for the busy spring season that will soon enough be upon us.

3 comments:

victoria said...

I am a Spanish woman, I recently found your blog. Sounds like a wonderful blog. There are English speaking, I use google translator to understand. a greeting from Spain.

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

I have always adored your photos - so cozy and beautiful. You could tell an entire post with just them. :)

Lulu said...

i love that little dog, poor baby looks lonely there by the boots...
love your blog..