Thursday, June 23, 2011

Let's Talk Homeschooling...

I spent a couple of hours earlier this week cleaning out my homeschooling armoire. Having received all of my curriculum for the fall, I wanted to change out last year's stuff and put in the new stuff.




I love doing this! I love organizing for the new school year! Now that I have all of our books in one place, I'm going to eventually sit down and work on planning out our day-to-day work. I bought The Well-Planned Day homeschool planner this year. This is the first year that I'm actually planning out our studies myself.



In the past, I have used almost exclusively Sonlight materials. But going in to my fourth year of homeschooling, I'm feeling more confident and comfortable in my abilities. And so this year, although using Sonlight for the bulk of my material with Ian, I've pulled together different curriculum from different companies. But in doing this, I knew I would HAVE to write out a schedule or I wouldn't stay on task (I know myself well.) I don't function very well without a plan.




This is what we're using this fall:

Ian (2nd/3rd grade):

Geography, Language Arts, History - Sonlight Core C - Intro to World History Part 2 (Have I ever mentioned how much I ADORE Sonlight! It's literature based and overflowing with living books. I'm so happy I found this company and highly recommend them!)



Math: Teaching Textbooks - Level 4

Science: Young Explorer's Club: Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day (we need to finish a few things in this book) and also Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding: A Science Curriculum for K-2

Spelling: All About Spelling

Handwriting: Handwriting Transition Student Worktext (Reason for Handwriting) (We'll be working on his cursive more in this level)

Bible: Studying God's Word Book E - A Chronological Study of the Old Testament from Genesis to Ruth

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Music: The Music Masters Series and Opal Wheeler's books on the classical composers
(Vision Forum is currently running a huge homeschooling blow-out sale, offering products up to 60% off. Right now, you can purchase the Music Masters Series for 62.40 instead of the originally priced $104.00! If you click on the link, you can view 300+ homeschooling resources that Vision Forum has on sale through June 25th!)






Lily (kindergarten):

Phonics/Reading: All About Reading (I'm really excited about using this curriculum!)

History/Geography/Language Arts: Heart of Dakota: Little Hearts for His Glory

Math: Singapore Early Bird Kindergarten Mathematics



Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting: Level K: Manuscript Student Workbook

Bible: Devotions for the Childrens Hour as well as the Studying God's Word Book E book I'm using with Ian (I just won't go as in depth with her)

Science: Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding and reading from The World God Made

Music and Art - Same as Ian



I also have Ann Voskamp's A Childs Geography Explore His Earth that I may supplement with if time permits (although I think we'll be pretty busy with what we have here!) I may start Ann's study this summer if I can get motivated enough to do it!


We're also going to spend time reading books on missionaries. We did this last year and the kids and I really enjoyed it and were very inspired by the faith of the missionaries we read about. The Christian Heroes Then and Now series is an awesome series. Here's a link to the one read read about George Muller this past year: George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)

If you're a homeschooling mama, what curriculum do you use and when do you start getting ready for the new year?



Have a blessed Thursday!

1 comment:

Johanna said...

This brings back so many sweet memories. I so MISS opening my Sonlight box!! It's been a few years since we've ordered. Every year just seeing those wonderful books would inspire me for the new year. Maybe one day they'll serve the next generation of homeschoolers if either of my children decide to homeschool. I've given away and sold a lot of books, but most of the Sonlight books will remain for a while, they're like friends. Praying the Lord fills you with joy as you prepare to teach your precious kiddos!!