Friday, June 24, 2011

Carrots and Dill - A Quick, Light Summer Side

I recently went back on my gluten-free diet. Not only am I lactose intolerant, but a couple of years ago, I discovered that I also have a gluten intolerance.

I don't get really, really sick like someone who has celiac disease. However, I do experience some intestinal problems and fatigue. I had also found that gluten was contributing to some major migraines and sinus problems I had been experiencing for years. I eliminated all wheat and gluten-containing products for a while, and then slowly began to introduce them back into my diet.



This was back in 2009. When we were in Ukraine last summer, I ate way too much bread (mostly because that is what I had access to) and have done poorly in maintaining a gluten-restricted diet since then.



So last week, I decided I was putting myself back on a strict gluten/wheat-free diet in an effort to get some energy back and to get my body into a more healthful state. This means that my diet is lactose free (although I will slip in an occasional yogurt or cottage cheese snack at night and then sleep through the stomachache) and wheat-free. So I pretty much consume veggies, fruits, some meats, beans and more veggies! :) (It's good on the waistline, I must admit.)



One very simple dish I enjoy as a side are julienned carrots with dill and a splash of apple cider vinegar.



I bought a julienne peeler from Pampered Chef several years back, and I LOVE this thing. I use it numerous times a week. Before I had one of these cool gadgets, I would painstakingly slice each little strip with a knife. It took a really long time.



After I slice the carrots, I sprinkle on dill (I go heavy on the dill since I'm a big-time dill lover; you can use dried or fresh), a pinch of salt, some pepper, garlic powder, and then top it off with a splash or two of apple cider vinegar. (Do you know all of the beneficial health properties of apple cider vinegar? You can read about that here.)



Mix it up and then enjoy. I had it with this lunch the other day...



(There is preservative-free turkey luncheon meat wrapped up in those pieces of lettuce. This is a nice alternative to a sandwich. I also buy almond bread, but I usually have that in the morning with an egg and do the lettuce/meat wrap for lunches.)


But it would also be really yummy served with burgers, grilled chicken, or grilled chicken sandwiches. It would even taste yummy on your burger or chicken sandwich! Or you could serve some up beside BBQ'd pork. Yum. Yum.

Now, I'm off to work on some book reviews. Brad told me that I was obsessed the other morning. I had no idea what he was talking about. He proceeded to tell me that I'm obsessed with reading.


And I admit that I have had my head stuck in books quite a bit recently. I have to grab moments here and there, and I try to spend time reading at night or early in the morning. I've had the blessed opportunity to review some really wonderful books.

I'm hoping to post three reviews tomorrow ~ all educational books. Books that are rich and meaty in their content and would make wonderful additions to your bookshelves (homeschooler or not.) I'm really excited about these books!

Have a great night!

No comments: