Friday, June 21, 2013

honeybees and a busy week...



I was so excited the other day. I went out to cut back the flowers that had developed on one of my lettuce mixes I had planted, and to my utter delight, there was a honeybee buzzing around those flowers! (See pic number 2 above.) This has been the very first honeybee that I have seen so far this year! We've had lots of the bigger bumble bees, (pics 3 and 4 above) but not a single honeybee until the other day. I only cut half of the flowers (so we'd have the lettuce to eat) and kept the other half for the honeybees.

As much as it delighted me to see this single honeybee, it saddened me that honeybees are so rare to be seen anymore. This may not mean much to some people, but to a gardener, honeybees play such an essential part in the whole process. In fact, so much so that Brad and I are planning on getting honeybees, hopefully next year (as much as we'd love to this year we must pace ourselves!) 

I've been playing single mom all week. Brad has been out in Illinois for training for work. So this week has been so busy, so very busy. Not only have I had all the inside duties, but I've also been doing all of the outside things (which is a lot this time of year.) I started mowing our yard yesterday. Mowed from 4pm until 8pm (with a little break for dinner), and I still have our whole backyard left. I really think that our yard has grown over the past few years. :) So that's on my list for today as well as many other things. Brad will be getting in late tonight, and we'll all be so excited to see him!

Well, I've got a busy day ahead so I best get started. Today is the first day of summer which means it's the longest day of the year, so get out there and enjoy it!

Blessings!



7 comments:

Monica Goldstrohm said...

I totally understand what you mean about the honeybees! It is so sad and scary to see them dwindling. I just don't think most people understand how important they are. No bees = no fruits, nuts, and veggies! We are actively trying to expand our hives. (Have you checked out my FB pics?) Good luck with your bee venture. It will be good to know that someone else is taking a part in saving these amazing little creatures!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

I'm so glad you saw a honeybee! Up until we decided to keep bees, I didn't realize how important they really are to our food supply. It's crucial that they survive!

I bet it has been hard to play single mom, so I know you'll be glad to have your hubby back!

Valerie Cottage Making Mommy said...

Oh how pretty. I wish we could raise bees but I'm terribly allergic. Growing up our next door neighbor put in his own bees and we had to move.

Hugs,

Valerie
Cottage Making Mommy
www.lovingmyheartandhome.blogspot.com

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Hooray for the honeybee! Happy to hear your hubby is returning. :) Beautiful photos - so green and lush.

Pam said...

It is a scary thing to realize that our honey bees are diminishing. It has been concerning me for quite a while. So glad you are seeing them. Your pictures are lovely. Love your beautiful garden.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many honeybees are in your yard total! Yes, that would be a smart idea, for you to raise your own!

Your flowers are so pretty. And your gardens.

You needed the longest day of the year with all your yard work while your husband is away. You are a supermom! :)

Mrs O said...

Ive just found your blog (through a link from another blog on home making) and I want to thank you for thr sunshine you have brought to my day today. I am a mum of 2 kids both under the age of 3, a wife, a home maker, a christian, and a depression-survivor. I read your post about a wednesday when you want to crawl back into bed and stay there for about a week. Before I read some of the articles on your blog I was having one of those wednesdays. Your words have encouraged and lifted me. So I thank you, from a little town in rainy England.