Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Passover for the Gentile...


On that day tell your son, 'I do this because of what the LORD did for me when I came out of Egypt.' {Exodus 13:8 NIV}




Passover commences today. Though not of Jewish descent, our little family will be observing the Passover with a Seder tonight. Our youngest children have participated in Seders at our church in years past, but this will be the first time we have one here at home. I'm planning on this becoming a new Holy Week tradition for our family.

So why observe Passover? Well, of course, we will not be observing it to the same extent as the Jewish community will be. However, I believe that it is very important to learn about a custom that even our Lord practiced when He was here on this earth. And Passover is really so symbolic of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

We first learn about the Passover in the Old Testament book of Exodus. Here we find the Israelites (the Jews), God's chosen people, being held as slaves to the Egyptians. They were severely mistreated, beaten, and forced to labor in horrid conditions. 

God had sent Moses before Pharaoh, demanding that the Israelites be set free. What follows are the ten plagues, each plague in response to Pharaoh's hardened heart and refusal to free God's people. However, the tenth and last of the plagues was the death of the Egyptian first-born. And this is where Passover was first practiced...

God instructed His people to sacrifice a lamb. This spring lamb's blood was then painted on the doorposts of the Israelites' homes. This blood was a sign to the Spirit of the Lord to pass over that house, leaving all inside unharmed and well. 

And this significant act of God was then passed on from generation to generation, in remembrance of God sparing the lives of the Jewish first-born. And it became one of the annual feasts recognized by the Jewish people.

Now as believers, we no longer have to rely on the offer of sacrifices. Christ offered the final sacrifice of blood for atonement of sins when He was crucified. His death, His bloodshed, was done out of love, willingly, to save all who believe and call upon His name.

I've deliberately been focusing on God's sacrifice during this time of Lent. And I have found this to be so encouraging, so freeing. To remember the immeasurable depths of His love for me fills me up in a way that nothing else can. It fills me with such a sense of gratitude and wonder. No matter what goes on in this life, no matter how things turn out, no matter how difficult some moments can be, God loves me unconditionally and immeasurably. And my days here on this planet are to prepare me for an eternity with Him.


Behold the Lamb Easter Wreath




3 comments:

Heather said...

I love those dishes, how beautiful and perfect for the seder meal!

We just had a friend from Jews for Jesus come and put on a wonderful seder meal at our church. It was so interesting to learn about!

The three matzos stacked together and the similarities to the trinity was really interesting, too. I know Jewish folk don't see it that way, but it was very intriguing how strongly it could symbolize the trinity.

Anyway, have a wonderful Passover Seder meal!

Pam said...

I love that you are observing Passover. We have done Seders in the past; it is beautiful and I agree with all that you said. I love all of your dishes and and books.. or pamphlets and bags; I am thankful to be grafted in to Israel. I posted a Passover post last year (a video of a Jewish/Christian man who gave his testimony and told how as a Jew he could see all the correlations of Jesus/Messiah as the lamb of God and how it confirmed to him Jesus as Messiah)... any how love your beautiful post. Hope your Seder is wonderful; Wish I could come lol.
I know you will be blessed.

Sandra said...

Gorgeous dishes Andrea. Oh my!

And what a beautiful tradition you are establishing for your family. :)