Tuesday, March 19, 2013

my yarn storage solution


For those of you who do not understand my love for yarn, you may just want to check out here and move on to the next blog.

But for those of you who love yarn and are maybe looking for an appealing way to store it, read on.

I've had four big plastic totes stacked up in our master bedroom closet for the last eight months or so. And since our closet is narrow, every time I wanted to get into the bins, I had to pick a bin up and back out of the closet with it. And I repeated this, bin by bin, until I got to the bin that had the desired yarn in it.

It worked, but I knew I wanted easier access. It was hard to get to, and it wasn't very conducive to creativity. I also knew that I really loved the yarn-store look of displaying yarns ~ in the little wooden cubbies, stacked color on glorious color.

I've been trying to figure out a solution this whole winter. I needed something affordable and aesthetically pleasing since the only space I had to store my yarn was right smack dab in the master bedroom. Our house is smallish, and there's no room for an "art studio."

I was leaning towards a bookcase display. Brad wanted me to get something with doors on to cut down on the dust, but all of those options were too pricey. I was keeping an eye on Craigslist, but wasn't having any luck finding something that fit the small area that it had to fit in to.

And so I decided that sometimes you just have to go with what's affordable and available (and dust a little more often!)

While we were out over the weekend, I found this white bookcase at Target. It was on sale for $80! We snatched the last one up. In fact, I guarded it while Brad went to look for assistance and a flat to wheel it to the front.

Brad, the awesome husband that he is, knew how excited I was about this so he put it together late that night after we got home. Sunday was a family day, so I didn't get around to putting out the yarn until yesterday. And can I just say how much fun I had? Arranging. Rearranging. Getting it just right.

And now my heart goes pitter-patter every time I look at it. :)

So I know that some of you totally don't get this. You don't get why I would get excited over a bookcase stuffed full of yarn or why I would even want that in our master bedroom. But oh do I love it! And Brad even mentioned how nice it looked, all colorful and cheerful and happy-looking. But, of course, he totally gets me and knows what makes this girl happy.



The bookcase. {Just saw that the price is back up to $110, but it's still a good deal!}

17 comments:

Wendi said...

Swoon.... the pop of color in your room is nice. A little bit of sunshine for a winter that keeps hanging on!

Unknown said...

Oh Amber I love this!
Tina

Sandra said...

I TOTALLY get it....and the funny thing? I have a similar set up in my bedroom LOL

I also have a shelf with all my yarn, by color, and yes there's dusting but it doesn't matter, it looks beautiful.

I love yours too, isn't it wonderful to be able to just grab the yarn when you need it?

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE!!! to wake up to that. It looks great! You really do have a ton of yarn. wow!!!

sweetpea family said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and giving me the opportunity to visit your lovely blog. I love your yarn storage unit and your knitted squares are adorable - I will be a regular visitor :)

Unknown said...

WoW! It looks totally amazing! I really need to organize my yarn. It's just thrown in a basket (that's too small) beside my bed. You've given me motivation now!

A Primitive Homestead said...

I get it. My stock pile is fabric. Some in a dresser & some in a lovely gray plastic storage tub at the foot of my bed. Your shelf looks great in the corner with all the lovely colorful skeins of yarn. So happy for you. Blessings! Lara

Thistle Cove Farm said...

love, Love, LOVE it...great find and going to bed, looking at that lovely, luscious yarn each night would make me happy, happy, happy!
This Friday, I'm doing a feature on Darn Good Yarn; hope you can come by if you're not familiar with DGY.

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Amber - thank you so much for leaving such a wonderful comment on my blog today! I'm so happy you found me - looks like we've got a bit in common. I'm enjoying reading your posts. Oh.....and I LOVE yarn, am drooling over these photos and, I will now admit, I have no idea how to knit or crochet. Yet. :)

Marie said...

I love it! It looks so pretty!
Marie

Rowen said...

I totally get this! I must get myself something similar, I'm fed up of plastic carrier bags! Love the wire baskets on top too! Rowen@Coastal Colours x

Becca said...

Oh that's lovely

Amanda Pedro said...

that is just so happy. I would have put it at the other end of the room so I could see it first thing in the morning! :}
There's a whole lot of knitting potential on those shelves. It looks so much better than putting it in baskets.
good for you.

Pam said...

I love it, love it, love it. I am so happy that you have a wonderful husband who "gets" you... I do too. We are very blessed girls aren't we. I have a little work space in our master bedroom... its not my first choice, but it is what we can do for now. I love your color organization; I can't resist that myself, and do the same thing with yarn, beads and buttons... even material when I have enough to organize that way. Also, I see your basket on the floor in the second to last photo... I could send you an almost exact photo from here... same basket, almost the same floral rounds; I will think of you as I crochet mine. I understand your heart going pitter patter at the sight of it... I would too.
Blessings,
Pam

Alison said...

I love this! I think it looks fantastic. I've been looking for yarn storage solutions - I'm glad I stumbled on your beautiful photos.

Anonymous said...

Woweee, you have a fabulous way of displaying your yarn stash! I would not be able to sleep with the excitement of project-planning, lol! Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog today!

Hugs, Tina xx

Lulu said...

oh i would love that in my room..i have my yarn in bins which i hate..