Monday, February 13, 2012

In Which I Share My Awe and Amazement...

Our God continually amazes me.

Did you ever have a moment when everything just seemed so amazingly miraculous?

Brad and Ian were out having some male bonding time tonight (Brad tries to spend one-on-one time with each kid.) That left Sergei, Lily, and I at home.

After working on a project Sergei and I are presenting at his school on Thursday, I announced it was time to do our family devotions.


"Mom, I want to lead them tonight."

Well. Okay. My oldest son just volunteered to step up and lead family devotions with dad away. Who am I to argue with that?

After doing a little searching through his Bible, he told us he'd be reading from Joshua 1:7-9.


With wonderful understanding, Sergei went on to tell Lily and I what that passage of Scripture meant to him.

And then God clearly spoke to my heart....

"Amber, remember that time when you were getting ready to host Sergei and you were being tormented by your enemy and you asked me why?"

"Remember when I told you that a soul was at stake?"

"Well, here, right in front of you, sitting at your kitchen table is that soul that was at stake."

"And I've saved that soul."


Oh my gosh. You don't know how overwhelmed I felt at that moment. Not overwhelmed in a negative way, but just overwhelmed, completely overwhelmed by the goodness and power and saving grace of God.

Friends, adoption is not easy. Not in the least. And there have been many, many times when I've seriously just wanted to quit. And there have been times when I've really had to work at not becoming bitter towards God because of some of the things we had to experience after we got home from Ukraine. Honestly, there were times I wanted to kick the kid out of the house.

But, you see, this makes all that suffering worth it. This makes all of the trials worth it.


God let me be a part of the salvation of a soul.

Oh, if only you could all hear and feel the emotion I feel right now. The praises I'm lifting up to my Father in Heaven.

He is so good. He is so full of love. He is love.

And then Sergei flipped to another piece of Scripture after our family devotions were done and Lil was brushing her teeth.

"Mom? This verse is good. 'Even if your mother and your father forsake you, still I will never leave you.' That's like me."

"Yes, Sergei. God never left you. Even though your mom couldn't take care of you, even though she loved you but had to give you up because of bad choices she made, God never gave up on you."

"Yes, that's right, mom."

You see, this is what it's all about. This is life. Living for Him and pointing others toward Him. Pointing others toward their Creator.

To know Him and glorify Him. That is how life is meant to be lived.

And when I see the fruit of the Spirit in my son's life, a son who has experienced a lot more than any 15 year-old should and who has been fighting off some pretty nasty demons of his past, I really just feel myself crumble at my Father's feet. I crumble in humble adoration at His greatness.

He is the source of restoration. He quenches the thirsty soul. He feeds with the holy manna that gives life eternally. He comes in and He fills the empty places and gives life meaning.

And this girl here, well, she's just a little bit FULL of awe right now.

Signing off to go ponder these things in the quietness of my heart...

Amber

9 comments:

Joy said...

This is beautiful, Amber!

Heather said...

Wow!

...that's all. Just, wow.

Wendi said...

Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Life is so hard and messy at times, but God is such a wonderful Father. What a blessing.

Monica said...

Amber! I am feeling the joy of your full heart! You see, we have 2 adopted children (now 13 and 15) and it is one of the hardest things we have ever done. We too have wondered WHY God wanted wanted us to raise these 2 kids. Giving up everyday was what I wanted to do. Still have my days. Then our son (who has the most problems) will have a really good day just out of nowhere. It is amazing what God can do. I don't think my simple mind will ever stop being amazed. I will be praying for your Sergei!

BurttBunch said...

That is just awesome!!!! I pray my boys will be able to step out in their calling as they get older. You are doing a good job Amber! Keep relying on your Father to guide you!

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

This is the sweetest and best post that I've read today :) :) Wonderful, what God can do in the hearts of young people. It made me smile that you sit down as a family to have devotions, too :)Happy Valentine's Day. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Laura said...

that is wonderful!

Davene Grace said...

Wow! This is incredibly beautiful and awe-inspiring! Although my husband and I have not adopted any children, my parents did...my sister did...and one of my brothers did. Plus, we have many friends who have adopted. All of that to say that we have seen so much of the very difficult side of adoption. Reading your words is a delight, because it shows the other side: the great reward that comes from obedience to God in this area. Thank you for sharing, and may you continue to see great fruit in your son's life!!!