Monday, January 9, 2012

My 2012 Book List ~ Part 2

And it continues...

Raising Real Men: Surviving, Teaching, and Appreciating Boys ~ Hal and Melanie Young

From Amazon.com: Raising Real Men looks beyond the untied shoes and dirty jeans to what the Lord means your son to be. Learn how to help him focus on schoolwork, find real heroes, stand alone when he needs to, and become a real man one day. Don t just survive raising boys, succeed at it and learn how to love them as they really are.

The Duggars: 20 and Counting!: Raising One of America's Largest Families - How They Do It! ~ Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar ~ Okay, I admit it, I have a fascination with this family. And I'm really looking forward to some tips on how to stay organized and fuctioning effectively as a family unit. If they can do it with 20, then surely we can do it with our small family.




Pocketful of Pinecones: Nature Study with the Gentle Art of Learning
~ Karen Andreola


From Amazon.com: This unique book actually has a two-fold purpose. It's a story written especially for moms who get discouraged and feel like giving up on homeschooling, as well as a guide to nature study.

Keeping a Nature Journal: Discover a Whole New Way of Seeing the World Around You ~ Clare Walker Leslie ~ Because I enjoy writing, nature, and drawing...


From Amazon.com: What makes KEEPING A NATURE JOURNAL so popular? It is inspiring and easy to use. Clare and co-author Charles Chuck E. Roth offer simple techniques to give first-time journal-keepers the confidence to go outside, observe the natural world, and sketch and write about what they see. At the same time, they motivate long-time journal-keepers to hone their powers of observation as they immerse themselves in the mysteries of the natural world. Clare and Chuck stress that the journal is a personal record of daily experience and the world around us. Nature's beauty can be observed everywhere, whether in the city, suburbs, or country.


Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption ~ Katie J. Davis ~ I just recently found Katie's blog. And she amazes me. The calling on her life and her obedience amaze and inspire me. Can't wait to read this book.

From Amazon.com: What would cause an eighteen-year-old old senior class president and homecoming queen from Nashville, Tennessee, to disappoint her parents by forgoing college, break her little brother’s heart, lose all but a handful of her friends (because the rest of them think she has gone off the deep end), and break up with the love of her life, all so she could move to Uganda, where she knew only one person but didn’t know any of the language? A passion to make a difference.

Hinds' Feet on High Places
~ Hannah Hurnard ~ Looking forward to digging into this classic Christian allegory...

From Amazon.com: Hannah Hurnard created the story of Much Afraid, a young girl hoping to travel from the Valley of Humiliation to the High Places. Along the way, she meets a number of memorable characters - including the Family of Fearings, Cousin Pride, Mrs. Valiant, Mercy, and Peace. Much Afraid also meets the ever-caring Shepherd, who helps her on her journey, at the end of which she receives a new name: Grace and Glory. This long-time best-seller is an intriguing perspective on the Christian life. Now in a deluxe collector's edition, this unabridged classic will thrill readers of all ages.

The Pilgrim's Progress ~ Paul Bunyan ~ Another classic Christian life allegory. Brad and Ian read the junior version of this book last year and had really enjoyed it. So I've decided it's time to read it myself. Only, I'm reading the original version.


Note: If you are a Kindle owner, you can get this classic for free on your Kindle! Use the above link and then click on the kindle option. Yay!

Uncle Tom's Cabin
~ Harriet Beecher Stowe - How is it that I have never read this great classical piece of historical writing?


Again, you can get the Kindle edition of this book for free! Use the following link:




A Tree Grows in Brooklyn ~ Betty Smith


From Amazon.com: The beloved American classic about a young girl's coming-of-age at the turn of the century, Betty Smith's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a poignant and moving tale filled with compassion and cruelty, laughter and heartache, crowded with life and people and incident. The story of young, sensitive, and idealistic Francie Nolan and her bittersweet formative years in the slums of Williamsburg has enchanted and inspired millions of readers for more than sixty years. By turns overwhelming, sublime, heartbreaking, and uplifting, the daily experiences of the unforgettable Nolans are raw with honesty and tenderly threaded with family connectedness -- in a work of literary art that brilliantly captures a unique time and place as well as incredibly rich moments of universal experience.

The Help
~ Kathryn Stockett ~ I found this book for $1.00 at our local library sale and snatched it up right away. Hardcover for $1.00!!!! Anyway, I've been anxious to read this book since hearing that it is similar to Susan Monk Kidd's, The Secret Life of Bees. In fact, I requested the movie version of The Help for over the weekend. Brad and I put it in the DVD player on Friday night, but I just couldn't bring myself to watch it before I read the book. My dear husband is so understanding of me. He didn't understand my reasoning, but he went along with it. So, needless to say, we turned it off and watched something else. I'll re-order after I read the book!



The Forgotten Garden ~ Kate Morton ~ I heard that this book is similar to The Secret Garden.




The Chronicles of Narnia Series ~ C.S. Lewis ~ Read some of these as a young girl. Was recently inspired to re-read them after watching the Narnia movies.


A Wrinkle In Time Books ~ Madeleine L'Engle ~ I read a couple of these books as a young girl and remember being fascinated by her writing. So I plan on re-reading the ones I've already read and look forward to reading the ones I haven't read yet.


Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Tree Grown in Brooklyn is most excellent!

The book The Help is much better than the movie (in my humble opinion) as books usually are!

Happy Reading :o)

Anonymous said...

Hind's Feet, Uncle Tom's Cabin, A Wrinkle in Time are all on my bookshelf as well. I keep pushing them aside because I read a great review about another book so I get it (must be the addiction thing). Lots of great reading in your last two posts!

Loved the Chronicles of Naria Series