Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Because There's Only 24 Hours in a Day...

...and I've been pretty good at misusing them.


Sometimes I feel like I just can't possibly get everything done that I need to get done. Well, there's two ways of looking at this...

First of all, am I setting too high expectations for my day? Are my goals unrealistic and idealistic? Yes, sometimes this is the problem.


Second of all, if I could sit down and watch a slow-motion replay of my entire day, would I see moments in time in which I wasted away the moments? This is probably the more-likely scenario.

I've known myself to waste moments.

When I worked outside the home, I was pretty good at staying on top of things because I had to. I didn't have time to waste. And, honestly, it was pretty exhausting.


And then I became a full-time stay-at-home mommy. My dream. My calling.

And with being at home all day came the accessibility to things that could potentially waste my time, particularly the Internet.

You see, the Internet has been good for me as a stay-at-home mom. Being at home most of the time, I sometimes feel secluded from other people because I'm not out interacting one-on-one with them as much anymore. The Internet has opened up the doors to blogging, getting in touch with old friends through Facebook, and meeting some new ones (and a bestie, I might add). It has served some good purposes in my life.


But it's also been a time-hole. If I had to look at where most of my wasted moments are dumped, I could probably say with most certainty it's been on the world wide web.

But maybe you use your precious moments on phone calls, shopping, reading romance novels, crafting. I don't know. What I do know is that we all could find something that could tempt us to use our moments foolishly.


I'm not saying we shouldn't pursue these enjoyable things. Rather, life is about balance. It's about walking that fine line, keeping sure footing so as not to tread on the quicksand of excess and waste.

And so when we feel like there just aren't enough hours in the day, we would be wise to assess how we are spending those hours. Because if we were honest with ourselves, the hours we are blessed with really are plentiful. It's how we choose to spend each moment that has the potential to wreak havoc.

Father, I confess to using my time unwisely too often. Help me, Lord, to see each moment as the precious gift it is. Help me to fill each moment with meaningful things and activities. Help me to be disciplined enough to resist the temptation of wasting away moments. And when I am being wasteful with this precious commodity, convict me. I want to make each moment count. I don't want to waste the time You have given me. Rather, I want to wake each morning and commit each day to You. I want to live this life abundantly in You.

No comments: