Friday, March 25, 2011

Hiding His Word in My Heart...

For the last month, I have had a really big desire to memorize the book of Ephesians. Ephesians is my favorite book of the Word right now. There is so much wisdom to be reaped, so many practical applications packed into this short, six-chapter book.



Admittedly, I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed at how to even start memorizing an entire book. Ian and I have been memorizing verses, and even whole passages during Bible lessons each day, but I've never attempted to memorize a whole entire book. But I knew others had and it could be done.


So I've been praying over the last month for God to give me a deep, deep, insatiable hunger for His Word. And He's been planting a desire in my heart to fill my mind with His Word, to not only read His Word, but to hide it in my mind and in my heart.

So late last night, I prayed. I admitted to God that I didn't know where to start, that I really felt He was leading me to memorize the book of Ephesians, but I felt overwhelmed on how to do it. I asked Him that He show me how. And the thing about our Father, of course, is that He always answers.


Sometimes we have to wait for His answers, but in this case, He answered immediately. I found this blog with a 24 week plan for memorizing and reviewing the entire book of Ephesians.


So, I'm spending this morning getting my memorization booklet ready. And I'm making one for my mom too, because I called her and asked her if she would do it with me. It's always a good idea to have an accountability partner, especially when undertaking a larger memorization project. I need someone to make sure I keep on top of this important privilege I'm about to undertake.

So, maybe you're not ready to memorize an entire book of the Bible. That's okay!!! But hiding God's Word in our heart is so very vital to our Christian walk. His Word is what sustains us. We may not always have our Bible right in hand, but when we memorize His Word, we can always have it in our minds, ready to be pulled out, meditated upon, and applied.

And where should you start? Start by asking God to plant the seed of desire for His Word in you. And, dear ones, He will do it. He will give you that desire because He desires that for you.

In the meantime, here are some resources that may help you:








A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home

3 comments:

Johanna said...

Here's another scripture memory to song series, with contemporary music.
http://www.forevergratefulmusic.com/

Wendi said...

I had to laugh when I came to the part about saying the scripture without singing it! I can not say John 3:16 without singing the song from the Sonquest VBS program last year. Megan request that I play that CD at least three times a week over and over.

Mandy said...

I had a good friend at our last church that memorized Ephesians.

He recited it for our congregation during one of the services. It was such an awesome thing to witness!