Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Glimpse at Our Bookshelf...

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house. ~Henry Ward Beecher

Reading is one of those activities that totally thrills me to the core. To cuddle up under a soft blanket with a warm cup of tea and a book fully delights me! At night, after all the kids are in bed, I love to sit in my recliner with a book and get lost.

And I love to read other people's "favorite books" lists. I have found several really good books recently through blogs that listed them on their reading lists.

So I thought I would share with you what our family is reading right now. Of course, you all know we've been reading the Little House on the Prairie books each night (and throughout the day,) but I want to share what other books have been gracing our coffee table as of lately...

One Year Family Devotions - This was a New Year's resolution of sorts ~ to do devotions together as a family unit each night after dinner. We're doing pretty good sticking with this, although we have missed a couple of nights.


I'm using Emilie Barne's books on manners with the kids. We're really enjoying these books. These books are written specifically toward each specific gender which I really like. They teach proper manners and etiquette, things that are really important to me for my kids to learn.



I just picked this book up at the library last week, and I was so excited because it's been on my amazon wish list for awhile, so now I can "test-drive" it before committing to purchase it. Why, you may ask, are you reading Barnyard in Your Backyard when you do not have a barnyard in your backyard? Well, that's a very good question, and there is a perfectly acceptable explanation for that. We have wanted to get small animals for a couple of years now, but just haven't been able to do it. So our goal is to start our little homestead in 2012. I must edu-ma-cate myself in the meantime. :)



This is my personal, every-morning read with my coffee. This book by Sally Clarkson has really
inspired and motivated me to be the mother that God has designed me to be. It has served the wonderful purpose of reminding me that my privilege as a mother is a mission field for me, and something that I have been called to do.




I just got this book several weeks ago. I bought it to satisfy my organization addiction, truth be told. I LOVE reading material on organizing. Almost as exciting to me as a big piece of double fudge chocolate cake.



Leading Little Ones to God is the devotional I'm using with the kids during our Bible lesson in the morning. This one includes a one-page devotional, review questions (that actually make your kids think a little), a memory verse, words from a hymn, and a closing prayer.


And oh my goodness, you must take a look at this next book. See and Sew, a vintage-inspired sewing book for kids. I've been looking for some simple, fun sewing books for kids and I found that in this. And the retro look makes me feel all warm and cozy!





The illustrations are so charming...


Lots of clear explanations and great illustrations for various different sewing and cross-stitch stitches.

Many cute, easy handstitched projects (I think there are 28 all together but I'm too lazy to go check right now) that are all designed for children to be able to complete.



Here's another cute book I found. I think I might use one of the projects in here in my home arts class I teach at our homeschool co-op.


These projects are very basic, but that's good when you're teaching a 7-year-old to sew. Anything too complicated would just be frustrating. Oh, and all these projects are designed to be able to be handstitched.


And, of course, you all know how very much we love Little House in our home. So we've been enjoying the following Little House-inspired books. These books are a lot of fun. And, again, give me that warm cozy feeling!


This is from the sewing book...



Excerpt from the craft book...

And look how darling the cookbook is. Not only does it list recipes from that era, but they are recipes that are mentioned in the Little House books themselves. Oh, and there's narrative to go along with the recipes which makes the book all the more charming.



And here's a thrift store find - A Golden Guide to Birds. 25 cents. My 7-year-old has had a big interest in birds as of late, so we've been using this one as a reference and also as inspiration for drawings.


And for the men in your life, my hubby is currently reading/studying this book. This was highly recommended to him by his good friend.



Well, thanks for letting me share my passion with you all. Maybe you can post your favorite/current books on your blogs or leave a message for me here so I can see what books you love.

And now I will leave you with another quote. This one made me smile:

I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go to the other room and read a book. ~Groucho Marx

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

I'm a sucker for organization books myself. Was the one in your shelf any good? :)

Davene Grace said...

So many good ones!

Last year, I read A Little Book of Manners for Boys with my oldest two; it was great!

That Groucho Marx quote always makes me smile, too. :)

Here are the books at the top of my reading list these days:
1. Radical - David Platt
2. Crazy Love - Francis Chan
3. How to Get Your Child off the Refrigerator and on to Learning - Carol Barnier
4. There Is No Me Without You - Melissa Greene

May you have many cozy moments with your books! :)

A Primitive Homestead said...

At one time I hated to read. But when I wanted to plant a flower garden & put in a fish pond off I went to find books on the suject before I began my new adventures. Now I have been dreaming of having my very own small flock of chickens so off I went to find books on that subject. I am reading them now after I read my Bible. I am reading the book of Rev. at this time. If you do any of the sewing projects be sure & share them on your blog. My pie safe is full of wonderful books including the Little House books. Good luck with your little farm. There is a magazine out there Hobby Farms. I have flipped thru the pages at the store. They seem to have a lot of information on small back yard farms. Blessings!

LindaI said...

oh my goodness. a glance at your books really lets you get to know a person huh? You are inspiring! Love the little homestead idea.... we dream... but live in the city. We want chickens. Someday.... when we sell our home and get somewhere new.