Friday, May 14, 2010

Mary, Mary Quite Contrary, How Does Your Garden Grow...

I bought our herbs last week. When it was warm. But this week it has been in the 40's and even colder at night. And rainy and windy. And there has been frost on the ground in the morning. And so my herbs are in the garage, protected from the elements until it warms up a little.



But after we brought them home, the kids and I sat on the back deck and had a taste-testing session. Ian's favorites were lemon verbana and the spearmint. Lily's favorite were spearmint and definitely the chives. In fact, everytime we go anywhere, she stops by the herbs and breaks off some chive to take with her. :) Come to think of it, Ian does the same with the spearmint! (I may not have any of those two herbs left when it comes time to plant them!)


In the past, I have planted my herbs in containers on my back deck. This year, Brad surprised me with the plan for a raised bed for my herbs. It's right off the back of the deck and spans the width of the deck. So it will be nice and long, which means I'll have lots of room for some yummy herbs. He's been working on it for the last several days, but the weather hasn't been very cooperative!


I LOVE cooking with fresh herbs! I think it adds so much flavor to food. And it I can't wait to have some fresh spearmint for my iced tea this summer!


This year, I'm planting the perennial herbs in the raised beds and I'll put the annuals in containers on my deck. We'll be planting basil, dill, rosemary, chives, tarragon, thyme, sage, two different types of parsley, lemon verbana, spearmint, and also some lavender.


And I owe a lot of thanks to my wonderful sister, April, who will be caring for my precious herbs while we are across the sea. Without her willingness to tend to them, the herbs would have been a "no go" this year.
By the way, the famous nursery rhyme I quoted has quite a history of dispute over the various interpretations of its origin. Read about that here. Just some random info for you all.
What is paradise? But a garden, an orchard of trees and herbs, full of pleasure, and nothing there but delights. ~ William Lawson 1618

6 comments:

Tolentreasures said...

love fresh herbs! I don't have mine planted yet either, they are in a bed right outside my kitchen window. The sage, chives and thyme came back from last year, but everything else needs replanted. Love the pics of the embroidery class! How cute!

Cathy

Wendi said...

I had herbs in my kitchen window one year and agree they add so much flavor. I am having a terrible time with planting because it keeps raining!

A Primitive Homestead said...

The kids like a little snack for the road. I have some herb seeds I will be planting soon. I hope if weather allows. This will be all new for me. I am sure it will taste much better than dryed herbs from a plastic spice container from walmart.

Pam said...

I sure enjoyed your post. I love my herbs also. There is a little country farm close to us whose products are flower, herb and vegetable plants, and every year on "Mother's Day" they have a lovely sale. I often take my Mom or myself as a "Mother's Day" treat, but didn't make it this year. We are wrapped up in graduation and soccer right now, and our weather hasn't been the best either, but I am hoping to get a chance to get my garden going. I long for that happy routine. Thanks for the post, perhaps it will charge my batteries with inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your quote! That's exactly my sentiment this time of year. :)
~Miriam

michelle b @ every little thing inspired said...

mm, fresh herbs! just stopping by to say thanks for the follow! cutie pie kiddies!!
xoxo