Monday, October 13, 2008

Wanna know why...

Wanna know why leaves turn colors in the fall? Well, that's what we learned about today in our very first homeschooling class. My friend and neighbor, Carmen, and I decided to formally meet once a month to teach our kids together. This month was my turn to teach so I, of course, talked about "fallish" things.

The kids really seemed to enjoy it. Thought I'd share some photos:

First, we learned a fall poem. Then the kids made a picture to go along with the poem.

Gluing their "leaves" onto their trees:

My son sticks his tongue out when he's concentrating. Must be a genetic thing. His dad does it too.

Then we made leaf books. I had bought leaf rubbing plates from Oriental trading. I picked out seven trees common to our area and then the kids made these books with their rubbings:

Then we headed for the woods, books and bags in hand, to find the leaves featured in our books:



Can you tell my daughter dresses herself?

I figure it's her way of expressing her creativity. I don't fight it unless we're going to church or somewhere else that I think she needs to match.

Oh, and look at this little cutie. This is Carmen's son, Raphael. Couldn't you just eat him up?


Until next time!

Amber

2 comments:

Sarah said...

LOVE your blog! Your kiddos are too cute! My daughter likes to dress herself too...she is starting to get better at matching.

I love a previous post with a pic of you covered with stickers. I am always picking them off myself. :)

Katy said...

How TOTALLY fun!!! :) I love that you let your daughter dress herself! And I also love the fun fall learning day you had! It looks like a great time!

And Raphael..he is TOOOOO cute!