Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Simple fabric "matte"

Wanna pretty up your pics? Try adding a fabric "matte" to your frame. The way I do it couldn't be any easier. Here's how:



1. Get a frame that is slightly larger than your photo. The one I used was a brown wooden one that I spray-painted black. You'll notice that I didn't take the time to paint the back. Just painted the parts of the frame that would be seen.


2. Remove the glass and use it as a template to cut out a piece of fabric of your choosing. See the weird seam in the fabric I used? That's because this was an old gingham pillow case. I found it for 5 cents at the thrift shop. It had a few very tiny stains on it, but I knew I could find something to do with it.


3. Reinsert the glass. Center your photo on top. Put two little loops of clear tape to the back of your photo so it sticks to the fabric you will, in a moment, lay on top of it.


4. Very carefully lay the fabric over the picture, making sure to put the right-side down against the back of the photo and the glass.


5. Put the back of the frame back on carefully, and there you have it.


I also have a couple of frames that have just fabric in them. Toile is a nice fabric to frame since it has many different little scenes on it. Just cut the fabric to fit your frame, stick it in, and stick the back of the frame on.


Here's two that I have:


I just noticed this one has a wrinkle I need to go smooth out.





I love simple and fast ideas.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

How sweet! All three frames look great!!!

Glitter & Bliss said...

I'm so glad you stopped by and left a comment. Now I found you. I love your blog!! Your frames and muffins look wonderful!!!
Leslie

Carleen said...

GREAT ideas!!! I want to do this!