Friday, April 13, 2012

Calling All Mothers ~ Your Fields Are Ripe for the Planting!

My blogging friend, Laura, shared a small note of encouragement on her blog a couple of days ago. She entitled her blog post "Missionary Work." (You should go visit Laura. She always has such insightful things to say; things that always encourage and inspire me.)

When I saw the post title in my reader, I immediately thought that maybe her family had decided to embark on a short-term missions trip.

But when I clicked on over to read the post, I realized that she was referring to her precious calling as a mommy. Her daily work as a missionary: to her children.



And you know, I was discussing this at our ladies' Bible study just this past Wednesday night. I was telling the other ladies how sometimes I feel like having children is an obstacle to doing God's work. Raising children takes an incredible amount of time (like 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year), and so I have at times felt like I was being held back to really be able to get out there into the world and work in His fields.

The fields are ripe, but the workers are few. You know?

But golly, I've played this mental game enough before to know that this is a BIG FAT LIE! And one straight from the mouth of the enemy of my soul (and your soul too!)

Our homes are ripe for the planting, ladies! Our children are ripe for the shepherding, the guiding, the teaching.

Our greatest work for God as mothers is right in the fertile soul soil of our children. And if we don't labor to impress God's truth upon them, to plant His Word into their ripe hearts, the enemy will. And the enemy isn't going to be planting any of God's truth in there; he'll be planting all kinds of lies and roots of rebellion.

So, be encouraged, dear mothers, dear friends.

The fields are ripe. And your fields right now are right there within the walls of your homes.

So let's persevere together to labor unto the Lord right where He's planted us. Let's remember that our mission field as mothers is the greatest field of all.

3 comments:

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Wise woman are you! I've always said the mission field is under your feet, bloom where you're planted.

Laura said...

you are sweet! thank you for your kind words and i am glad you were encouraged. i have to tell myself this often because it is tempting to think that i should be doing something 'more'... still can't wait to meet you in the real flesh and blood! summertime, perhaps??

A Primitive Homestead said...

When I had my last child Sam I was walking with God & had a much fuller understanding of not just mothering my children but knowing God gives a mother the greates responiblily with the blessing of a child. To be blessed with a precious gift & the little soul that God intrusted us to teach & show them the path to our Heavenly Father is our first mission. Blessings!
Lara